The University of Pennsylvania and Health System is a world leader in research, instruction, and clinical care. Penn also has a strategic approach to making a positive local impact through civic engagement.
By applying the knowledge and skill of its faculty, students and staff, there are hundreds of initiatives designed to support Philadelphia socially and economically.
By the numbers:
The university and health system have a significant presence in the city, region and state and the spending on wages, goods, services, construction, as well as the spending of its faculty, students and staff, generates the following:
- $21.5 Billion: Annual economic activity Penn generates around the region.
- $590 Million: Venture capital raised in FY20.
- $42 Million: Daily economic activity in the city of Philadelphia.
- $27 Million: Penn Medicine funds to support West Philadelphia communities in unreimbursed health care, women’s health clinics and community health programs.
- 718,000: Philadelphians engaged in Penn’s civic engagement initiatives in public education, public health, and community partnerships.
- 344,000: Hours spent on civic engagement by Penn faculty, staff, and students
- 114,350: Number of direct and indirect jobs Penn generates.
- 10: Number of new cell and gene therapy start-up companies headquartered in Philadelphia based on Penn research.
- 1 in 8: Number of employed Philadelphians impacted by Penn’s presence and economic activity.